Friday, January 9, 2015

a SUPER room! DIY Outlet and Switch Plate Covers

Because most 4 year olds have a new favorite every week, we didn't want to spend a ton of money on the "super hero" stuff. So I "DIY-ed" a lot of it!
My first project was new outlet covers! I Google-ed some images of different super heroes and picked my favorites!
I painted jumbo switch plate and outlet covers black so that the edges would blend more. After printing my images, I trimmed them to fit (do not cut the holes for the outlets or switches until the paper is on). I then used mod-pog to attach the image to the cover, one coat on before the paper and then about 4 coats on top of the image. Before doing the top coats of mod-pog, cut the holes for the outlets and switches. After finding out the hard way ;) - it is best to cut with a sharp knife from the FRONT, I started in the middle and then cut to the edge and followed the edge around with my knife.
What do you think of the finished product(s)?






Sound easy? You can do this with any paper, it is a fun way to personalize a space. The jumbo covers cost around $1 plus the cost of your mod-pog and paper, so it's pretty cheap and fun to do!
I used the matte mod-pog because that is what I had on hand, but you could also use the shiny. *I have also made my own mod-pog with Elmer's glue and water!*
If you try this, please let me know how it works for you and share a picture!
Thanks for stopping by!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment