Friday, December 12, 2014

A SUPER room- DIY Cityscape Shelf and Hooks

If you Google super hero kids room, almost every picture has a city scape mural in it. I love the idea, but I didn't want a big mural for this room. I then saw a picture of big wood cut outs of a cityscape and loved it! While this was also not right for this room, I decided to make it in to a shelf with hooks.
I bought 1/4" x 24" x 24" birch plywood.
Using a pencil and straight edge, I drew out my cityscape.
We cut it out and built the floating shelf with scrap mdf.
I painted the cityscape and shelf with left over paint from the bed (it's free that way, right?). I added a few "windows" painted with a light yellow. I spray painted the hooks with a red spray paint that was left over from something... :) (I've got too many of those!)
To make the shelf: I just built a box, leaving the back open.  
To hang the shelf I made a bracket out of 1"x2" and attached it to the wall into the studs

Then slide the shelf on!

I just love how this one turned out! What do you think?

Thanks for stopping by!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment